Friday, May 21, 2010

My other half's a baker

As you can likely guess, I like food. I don't consider myself a great cook - I know too many actual great cooks to be that vain! - but I'm very pleased with what I can put together.

But one thing I've never really grokked is the art of baking.

You see, I love all the processes of the things I cook. The slow concentration of a risotto, the expectation of waiting for a well-loved piece of steak to rest. Even the careful consideration of a good chicken stuffing, or discovering a new recipe is a secret thrill. But the process of baking, and of sweet or desert cookery in general, just leaves me uninspired*.

Not so my common-or-garden-girlfriend. Or fiance. Or Moogle. Or whatever she is. She's recently discovered a real love of flour and almond meal, of making sweet treats and clever icings. Bless her for it, 'cause she's making tasty stuff, but now that I'm privy to the making process, it still doesn't do much for me.

But when the end result is something like these great little cupcakes with royal icing, who's going to question things.

My other half's a baker.

Man, these were good. Ever so subtly lemony, and that frosting... well, yeah, it's royal for a reason. Silky and white, it looks a treat, and the eating's not bad either.

And yes, that bowl of icing didn't last long.

So anyway, I guess it's a good split. For serious dinnering, I can knock off a solid entree and mains, but my partner can handle desert. It's almost like it was meant to be...


* There is one desert I love preparing. Calling it cooking seems bit of a stretch, but it's certainly a crowd pleaser, and something a little different. Keep an eye peeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment